Friday 11 January 2008

Gill's 2007 Faves and Musings ...

Wow - where did last year go ! The older I get, the more sentimental I get too. Time really does pass so quickly and if you don't stop and look around at times, you totally miss it. That's what is so great about being a photographer - I get to capture moments, for clients but also sometimes for myself.

I got back from a photography convention in Tampa this week, truly inspired by so many people and it got me to musing about the past season and what I did for 365 days. So I figured I would post my favourites, along with a backstory - in no particular order - bear with me, this is going to be a long and slushy trip ...

Night Lights ...
This was a particulary long-winded exercise. Eoin and Lisa had postponed their first dance by a couple of hours, beyond the time I was spending with them, so I wanted to do something for them to replace those shots. I spoke to the building manager and got the staff to go into every room at the front of the house and turn on all the lights. I then rounded up all the guests who had been milling around outside and got them to go indoors. Once I was all set up I brought Eoin and Lisa out ... this is the result ...


Kittie Remembered ...
I shot Tracey and Grant's wedding early in the year. They are cat-lovers, just like me, and one of their little cats had not long passed away. I asked Tracey, as I do all my brides, "what's your something blue". The result was tear-jerking ... Tracey had fashioned a little blue frame around a photo of her cat and fastened it to her bouquet so he could be close to her on her special day ... boy, that gets me every time !


Excitement ...
Nicole and Simon were my first wedding of 2007 - the venue was Coombe Abbey - a dark place at the best of times, but with a 4pm ceremony on 10th February, I had a challenge :) Once the preps were over, I decided to take Nicole up to their bridal suite for a portrait session ... there was a full length mirror in the room which Nicole started excitedly twirling in front of, growing more and more excited about getting married. I carried on shooting and these were my favourites from that session ... they sum Nicole's excitement up perfectly :)


The Signing ...
Kim and James got married in a beautiful old church, with light blasting in through some fantastic windows. Any past brides will know that I don't normally shoot the cheesy, posed, pretend registry signing. I prefer to capture what is happening while the actual signing is going on. This is a particular favourite of Kim, shot in natural light which was streaming in on her ... classically beautiful ...

Makeup Check ...
Stephanie and Lee got married on 070707. I arrived at the hotel to find Steph all on her own ... everyone was running late. We had a lovely, calm time together before all the choas began. Steph was worried that her makeup might look "too much" so I asked her to face me and I took this shot for her to check in-camera. It wound up as a full page in the album.

The kiss ...
I caught a lotta kisses last year! But it isn't all that often I get to move around a church so freely ... I love this - Lee is so keen to get in there LOL and I love the priest's expression too !


Posing ...
Last lot, I promise ... I spent a lot of 2007 posing my brides - at the end of the day they hire me to make them look fabulous, so I try to spend a part of my day doing just that - sometimes to the detriment of a group shot here or there - but always worth it ... here is a small selection of favourites - man, these brides knew how to work my camera !

Stephanie

Gemma
Amy

Thanks to all my 2007 clients for making the year such a blast ! Here's to 2008 and all that it may bring :)

Gill x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your lovely comments and thoughts :)