Tuesday 24 April 2007

Pets and People

Well, for me, people and animals are the most interesting of subjects - yes, flowers and landscapes are beautiful too, but people are fascinating. Especially when they are being themselves - expressions and emotions are what makes my job fun and interesting.

Here are a few of my favourites I have shot over the years ... I will start with some pets - these started out life as snapshots or as test shots with a new camera or lens and they turned out to be lovely portraits.

This is Deano, my Parents' little dog - unfortunately he took very ill suddenly at the end of 2006 and died - I framed this photo for my Parents so they could remember his cheeky little face :) This works for me, even though his nose is in focus, rather than his eyes.



The next couple are of my little tabby cat, Tigger - he was born with a problem with his legs so he can't jump very high - his brother takes advantage and teases him relentlessly ...



This one was taken as he was looking longingly out of the french doors - the light is lovely on his face ...



Of course, not forgetting my other cat, Tom. Even though they are brothers, they could not look more different - Tom is jet black - no white on him at all !

This one was taken with a ring flash on the end of the lens - you can see the effect in his eyes - it also helps to bring out the individual black hairs and is a lovely even light (usually used for macro photography).


And one of him screaming :)


Of course, whist it is fun to look through my images of pets - they are gorgeous - I also look around for people opportunities, like this fun shot taken in the office ...

This was a badly taken shot whilst at college studying photography - it isn't really well focused, but the pose of the subject and the framing makes for a lovely shot and a lovely expression nonetheless ...

So, when I am shooting a wedding, I am looking for expression and feeling and moments - the candids are always best as they capture people as they really are - yes, poses have their place, but I love to capture moments too !

This bride was howling with laughter with her new husband ! You will notice a different tone to this as I have added some Sepia for effect.

This guest was waiting patiently for the main event - the speeches ! I love the thoughtful expression ...

This particular wedding was a footballer - and they were getting married on cup final day !!! In order to placate the guests they set up a plasma screen - here is one guest not quite happy with the ref's decision :)Gill x

3 comments:

  1. This is a fascinating post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much John - feedback is always useful - glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just seen the first pic and feel hungry now. I think I may and go and get some 'sassuages"

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your lovely comments and thoughts :)