Friday 5 September 2008

Improving Images

With the advent of so many digital cameras around these days, I constantly strive to set myself apart from others ... not only by trying to achieve a different "look" from other professionals, but from the casual guest who happened to have a really great camera at my wedding :) Don't get me wrong, these cameras can help achieve some great photos, but how can we, as professionals, set ourselves apart? Simple, by using the tools we have available to the limit !

A good example of this is the following "scene-setting" image, taken outside the church right after the ceremony. I spotted a whole pile of cameras coming out of coat pockets and handbags, rather paparazzi-style ! and thought it made a fun shot. The bride and groom (Natasha and Allan) were a littel shell-shocked by all the attention and so I wanted to step back for a moment and give them some space to settle in to the fact they were now married, before whisking them off for some formal shots with me on my own. The sky was dramatic with lots of fluffy clouds, so I went wide to capture that ...

Here is the original, out of camera, pretty much as the eye would have seen it ... (I make sure my camera is set to Neutral when I shoot as I want control afterwards ...) - the image is "ok" ,"acceptable" even, but a little flat for my liking ...



With a little wave of my magic wand, however, this is what the client will receive ... note the clouds and sky clarity ... subtle, but very effective !



And, for this one, I actually think it works really well in BW, for a more moody feel !



I think you will agree that a bit of work can really make a difference to an image such as this ! Comments welcome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your lovely comments and thoughts :)